Saturday, 7 November 2015

Week Six

UVW Mapping Test

During this week, I tested out UVW Unwrapping on a simple cube just to get used to the basics.




I accidentally drew on the 'Hi' upside down, but since Steve showed us in the lecture how to change that, it was no problem:


X-Wing

This week for my X-wing I completed the main body, and a small thing that I forgot from week five: 
I actually successfully used autogrid to do some bolts on the wings, and I'll definitely be using it in future to to smaller details. I'm still not happy with using it on larger shapes. For example, I did use it to add red 'paint' to the wings. I'll be able to remove the 'paint' when I do the materials, but I think it looks nice for now.
 I did go back later in the week and add some more detail and nearly finish the ship altogether. I just need to go through and look over all the object names for any that I've missed, and maybe change around some of my groupings. I'll post an evaluation of it next week with the two others.
I think it will be really easy to texture the details, since I've made them seperately. The body of the ship and the wings may need UVW unwrapping, but I'll have a look when I get around to texturing. The gun might be slightly difficult to texture since I didn't remake it as seperate cylinders as I did with the engines (I did slightly squish it inwards with the scale too, as it looked a bit wide).
Tie Fighter

I couldn't believe how much I actually got done this week, not only did I do all the work on the X-wing, but I've practically finished the Tie Fighter too.

My 3DS max has been crashing VERY often, so I've kept having to use the autoback saves to rescue my work. Some days it'll cooperate, some days it won't. 
As you can see, I've completely built up the arms of the ship (that was actually very fun) I've used the mirror tool a lot on both the X-wing and the Tie Fighter to get everything perfect. I'd align the pivot with something in the hierarchy tab, and then mirror the object  (or group) to get it perfectly symmetrical. It's such a useful tool. I love the way its turned out so far, although the ball in the middle looks very bare, so I'll finish adding the detail that you can see I've started in the picture (the dark blue) and add some to the front too. I still need to add lights (I think they're lights) on the back, and some sort of hatch onto the top. I'm considering cutting into the sphere with a tube for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment